Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sunset #14784


Taken about 50 metres back from my last sunset at the same time. I was trying out my new lens at the wide setting.

My favourite feature in this photo is the cloud formation.

I made a few adjustment layers for the ground and sky in this one, to try to get the balance right. To finish I did a gradient fill layer and set it to overlay mode, then masked off the ground, just to get the deeper blue colour from the sky.

Here in NZ the sunlight is very strong right until sunset. I've seen sunsets in other parts of the world where you can look straight at the sun without blinding yourself. Not here! I guess it's because we are relatively pollution-free, being so far from anywhere.

This poses something of a challenge for photography. The trick is to underexpose then "rescue" it in photoshop.

No comments: